mahout-user mailing list archives

From Felix Filozov <ffilo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Generic approach to kNN
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2011 23:54:08 GMT
I have a set of feature vectors. They're composed of integers and other
non-numerical values. This means that I would need the ability to supply my
own distance function. My data has no notion of users, just vectors.

Example:

vector 1: (1, apple, dog, 34, 8766)
vector n: (3, orange, cat, 3738, 3737)

I would like to know if Mahout can perform kNN similarity search using such
arbitrary items/vectors. As a side question, can it  perform that outside
the context of a recommender? I think reducing some problems to a
recommendation may a bit awkward.