mahout-user mailing list archives

From Jake Mannix <jake.man...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: does anyone use the "row label bindings" stuff in Vector / Matrix?
Date Wed, 02 Nov 2011 18:19:34 GMT
On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 10:15 AM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org>wrote:

> On Nov 2, 2011, at 11:50 AM, Jake Mannix wrote:
>
> > Ah, ok, I was looking at an older source tree.  Then in that case, no
> > *release*
> > we've had touches them, and nowhere in the codebase does anyone
> > currently use the bindings, even if it is the case that if you *did* use
> > them,
> > they would indeed get serialized with the matrix.
>
> Are you sure about that?  I thought that was something we added a long
> time ago.  Perhaps it doesn't look released b/c some of that stuff got
> moved around?

I'm looking at a branch which was not too old.  The row-label stuff was in
for
ages, but wasn't serizlied with the matrix.

Note: this only applies to a Matrix which lives in memory -
DistritubedRowMatrix
doesn't have any of this stuff anyways.

> Makes sense.  Of course, if you don't use them, there's no harm, right?

All in the name of simpler APIs and reducing code clutter.  Same reason
we removed the Vector.addTo() method (which actually *was* being used,
actually).

> I'm not against removing them, but it does strike me that we had a pretty

lengthy discussion about them way back when and Ted and Jeff went

through a few iterations to add them in.

Ted, Jeff, anyone want to speak up for this functionality?

Users out there?

  -jake