mahout-user mailing list archives

From Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>
Subject Re: We need help about how to install mahout
Date Wed, 02 Nov 2011 16:17:28 GMT
On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 8:47 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:

> On Nov 1, 2011, at 2:16 PM, Patrick Hunt wrote:

>>> There is no timeline, but there are a number of use cases for which 0.5 is
>>> unsuitable relative to trunk.
>>
>> Those who know me know I'd be one of the first to volunteer, but given
>> I'm only a user here and not a committer I can only request - is it
>> possible for you all to cut a 0.6 release?
>
> I think we are working towards it at this point, but you know how this works: Users become
Contributors become Committers  :-)

I hear you and I certainly meant no disrespect. I have the
same/similar text snippet as a macro for the projects I'm involved in.
;-)

Here's the thing, a bit of background: I drove the project to get
Mahout accepted/integrated into CDH. It's been a huge success so far
and we are seeing many users interested in the functionality you
provide. However Ted has pointed out some limitations of the current
official/sanctioned release (0.5) and I'd really love to get a new
version, blessed you all (by the Mahout community) into the next
version. I'm afraid I'm both stretched too thin at the moment and
don't have the necessary expertise to help directly, but I know some
other Clouderans are starting to participate at the contributor level.
So apologies for the request w/o being able to offer help directly,
but that's the context of my original email. Hope that makes things
more clear. Whatever happens, Thanks!

Patrick