mahout-user mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Mahout performance issues
Date Fri, 02 Dec 2011 18:07:04 GMT
Since touching them adds nothing but cost, then not touching them is
better.  Kill the item!

In practical terms, we had this problem at Veoh.  Everybody got the same
intro video.  It provided no information.  Likewise at Musicmatch,
everybody got the same startup noise during the splash screen.  It added no
information.  Both of these cases would kill performance in lots of
recommendation engines because a vast number of users would get sucked into
computations where it made no difference at all.

Better to kill these items.