mahout-user mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Commercializing Mahout: the Myrrix recommender platform
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2012 21:35:35 GMT
With this announcement, this group has a fork in the road facing us.

We can choose the Hadoop path of forcibly excluding anybody with a slightly
wrong commercial taint from discussions (I call this the "more GNU than
GNU" philosophy).

Or we can choose a real community based approach that includes vendors
regardless of how they use the code that we freely give away via the Apache
Mahout project (I call this "the Apache way").

As you may guess from the way that I phrase these options, I would prefer
the second approach.

As such, I like it if we could resolve as a group that we very much welcome
what Sean is doing as an augmentation rather than diminution of the major
role that he has played in Mahout so far.  More than that, I would like to
go on record saying that I, at least, am happy to have all kinds of
participation in Mahout.

Is this the consensus here?  I think it is important to bring this subject
up early and get a definitive consensus rather than let it drift.