mahout-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Quach <danqu...@cs.ucla.edu>
Subject how to implement item-based recommender on movie genre data?
Date Tue, 08 May 2012 07:53:39 GMT
Suppose that I want to give each movie a profile based on the genres each contains.

For naive and simplistic purposes, let's pretend that each movie has a vector where each column
is a genre, a 1 in that column indicates that the movie contains that genre, 0 otherwise.

How would I feed such data into an Item-based Recommender? I want this recommender to use
these vectors for calculating similarity for recommendations, which in turn is used for preference
estimation (just as described in section 4.4.1 of the Mahout in Action book)

The example in the book is not immediately clear to me. The sample code does not mention the
format of the data being used in creating the ItemSimilarity object.