mahout-user mailing list archives

From "huanchen" <iamzhan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Re: About Random walk with restart
Date Mon, 21 May 2012 01:38:13 GMT
Many thanks ! I will do a research on these projects.

2012-05-21

huanchen

发件人: Ted Dunning
发送时间: 2012-05-19  17:41:16
收件人: user
抄送:
主题: Re: About Random walk with restart

On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 3:40 AM, Huanchen Zhang <iamzhanghc@gmail.com>wrote:
> Here I am a little confused: isn't Giraph also based on Hadoop? If so, how
> Giraph solved the 'Hadoop lacks efficient execution of iterative
> algorithms' problem ?

Hadoop programs are normally map-reduce programs.  Giraph misuses the
map-reduce framework in Hadoop by starting mapper processes that turn
around and run a BSP program.  Giraph is a separate Apache project from
Hadoop.
So you are correct, Giraph programs run on a Hadoop cluster. But they are
not Hadoop map-reduce programs and it is the map-reduce programs that are
very poor at iteration.