mahout-user mailing list archives

From Paritosh Ranjan <pran...@xebia.com>
Subject Re: kmeans not returning k clusters
Date Wed, 09 May 2012 08:14:54 GMT
Printouts of Mahout vectors prints only the non-zero elements.
So, the centers are not empty, rather they are zero.

Prima facie, I suspect that you are getting lot of empty clusters. This
might be occurring due to the combination of distance measure,
convergence threshold and distances between vectors.
Can you try to analyze and change/play around with these parameters?

I will try to look into how the Random Cluster Initialization is
working. I will log a jira if I find some issue. However, I think that
there will be no problem in cluster initialization part.

On 09-05-2012 03:21, Danfeng Li wrote:
> I got the same issue. What I found is that the initial centers have many empty ones,
the final number of clusters are decided by the number of nonempty centers.

> Here are some example of my cases:

> CL-34358205{n=0 c=[] r=[]}
> CL-34358207{n=0 c=[] r=[]}
> CL-34358209{n=0 c=[] r=[]}
> CL-34358213{n=0 c=[0:1.000] r=[]}
> CL-34358215{n=0 c=[] r=[]}
> CL-34358216{n=0 c=[] r=[]}
> CL-34358217{n=0 c=[] r=[]}
> CL-34358220{n=0 c=[] r=[]}
> CL-34358221{n=0 c=[] r=[]}
> CL-34358222{n=0 c=[] r=[]}
> CL-34358223{n=0 c=[] r=[]}
> CL-34358224{n=0 c=[] r=[]}
> CL-34358227{n=0 c=[0:1.000] r=[]}
> CL-34358228{n=0 c=[] r=[]}
> CL-34358229{n=0 c=[] r=[]}
>
> Is it the case there is a bug in initialization?
>
> Thanks.
> Dan

the discrepancy has been greater like ask for 200 and get 38 but that was for a much larger
data set.

> Running on my mac laptop in a single node pseudo cluster hadoop 0.20.205, mahout 0.6
>
> command line:
>
> mahout kmeans \
>       -i b2/bixo-vectors/tfidf-vectors/ \
>       -c b2/bixo-kmeans-centroids \
>       -cl \
>       -o b2/bixo-kmeans-clusters \
>       -k 30 \
>       -ow \
>       -cd 0.01 \
>       -x 20 \
>       -dm org.apache.mahout.common.distance.TanimotoDistanceMeasure
>
> Find the data here:
> http://cloud.occamsmachete.com/apps/files_sharing/get.php?token=0b2dacddca05c0ee48cbebd05048434425b86740
>
> BTW when I run rowsimilarity asking for 20 similar docs I get a max of
> 20 but sometimes many less. Shouldn't this always return the requested number? I'll post
this question again to the the attention of the right person.