mahout-user mailing list archives

From Jake Mannix <jake.man...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Mahout - Pig Hackday
Date Thu, 03 May 2012 04:05:05 GMT
On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 8:07 PM, Ted Dunning <ted.dunning@gmail.com> wrote:

> Making a pig module for mahout is a fine idea.  The twitter guys may have
> something better, though, so we should explore that as well.  Andy's
> comments make that possibility very interesting.

What I'd want to suggest is that anyone who wants to move rapidly on
pig/mahout
integration should start a github repo which doesn't directly inject itself
into mahout,
but stands separately for now, but then the maven dependency DAG rears its
ugly head:

  pig-vector depends on mahout-core

so if we *do* want to start writing cool stuff *in mahout* which depends on
it,
we're circularly dependently self-destruct.  Now, if we had a proper
mahout-writables
maven module (*ahem*!), which had all the stuff pig-vector needed, and
mahout-core
depended on this, then mahout-core (or mahout-examples) could still depend
on
pig-vector (or something like it, like the elephant-bird-loaders slim dep)
at some
point.

--

  -jake