mahout-user mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: About Random walk with restart
Date Sat, 19 May 2012 09:40:15 GMT
On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 3:40 AM, Huanchen Zhang <iamzhanghc@gmail.com>wrote:

> Here I am a little confused: isn't Giraph also based on Hadoop? If so, how
> Giraph solved the 'Hadoop lacks efficient execution of iterative
> algorithms' problem ?

Hadoop programs are normally map-reduce programs.  Giraph misuses the
map-reduce framework in Hadoop by starting mapper processes that turn
around and run a BSP program.  Giraph is a separate Apache project from
Hadoop.

So you are correct, Giraph programs run on a Hadoop cluster. But they are
not Hadoop map-reduce programs and it is the map-reduce programs that are
very poor at iteration.