mahout-user mailing list archives

From "Stemmer, Maya" <maya.stem...@intel.com>
Subject How to make recommendations using ALS
Date Mon, 04 Jun 2012 08:31:05 GMT
Hi,

I want to know how to use the decomposition of the rating matrix to make recommendations.

If I want to predict a user preference for an item, I simply calculate the dot product of
the user's row in the user-features matrix and the item's column in the features-items matrix.
But what if I want to recommend N items to a user?
Should I predict his preference for all items the same way, and just return the top N? Will
it still be scalable?
Or maybe there is another way to do this?
I've read some papers on SVD explaining that it is also possible to use the small matrices
to obtain a user/ an item neighborhood based on less data.
Is it implemented in Mahout? Which way is better?

I'd be grateful for some help.

Thanks,
Maya

Intel Electronics Ltd.