mahout-user mailing list archives

From Sean Owen <sro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Java Heap Error: ItemSimilarityJob
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2012 09:50:54 GMT
You need to increase the size of the children's heap.
mapred.child.java.opts can be set to -Xmx4g for example. This is
usually put in mapred-site.xml.

Sampling does decrease the size of the intermediate outputs; probably
not the final output so much. But this is not your problem. You are
running out of heap on the workers.

You should definitely use more than one reducer! It's really up to
you, says Hadoop, to specify this, use -Dmapred.reduce.tasks=10 or
whatever is appropriate.

The name of the jobs kind of says what they do, and the javadoc says a
little more. If you have specific questions I bet people can explain
here.

Sean