mahout-user mailing list archives

From Sean Owen <sro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Scalability of ParallelALSFactorizationJob with implicit feedback
Date Wed, 20 Jun 2012 18:22:00 GMT
PS on this point, I've had great success locally by keeping the
user-feature or item-feature matrix out of memory, and on disk in the
form of a Hadoop MapFile, and then putting a large cache on top.
Caching works quite well since the number of items (users) that appear
frequently is small. You pay extra overhead for all the lookups in the
MapFile, but that can be helped somewhat by tuning its indexing
factor. In the end I have found you save a surprising amount of time
vs loading the whole thing just because of the frequency distribution
-- many users/items, even most, need never be touched by a reducer.