mahout-user mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Continued : simple OnlineLogisticRegression classication example using mahout
Date Thu, 28 Jun 2012 14:57:09 GMT
On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 9:59 AM, damodar shetyo <akshay.shetye@gmail.com>wrote:

> This post is continuation to another mailing thread thats going on,Sorry
> for creating a new thread but  i was not getting mails from group before .
>
> Following code was implemented By Ted Dunning .Now i have few questions:
>
> 1)The point (x,y) has 2 dimensions.But why are we using 3 instead of 2
> while creating DenseVector?
>  Vector v = new DenseVector(3);   / / why 3 , why not 2?
>
> 2) In getVector method why we set       v.set(2, 1); ??
>
> 3)Whats the use of setting lambda?

http://cseweb.ucsd.edu/~saul/teaching/cse291s07/L1norm.pdf

(in this next, C is used instead of lambda)
http://www.ttic.edu/sigml/symposium2011/papers/Moore+DeNero_Regularization.pdf

(and in this one, alpha is used)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Least_squares#LASSO_method

4)What happens if i increase or decrease learning rate?

It affects speed to converge.  Very high starting point can be useful in
some cases, but mostly just makes it take longer to converge.   Very low
starting point can make convergence fail.

http://leon.bottou.org/projects/sgd