mahout-user mailing list archives

From Salman Mahmood <sal...@influestor.com>
Subject The default category of a binary classifier
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2012 08:32:46 GMT
First, in mahout, is there a special way to create binary classifier? for instance if I am
creating classifier for 20 news group data, I will just pass 20 as number of categories when
creating the training object:

new AdaptiveLogisticRegression(20, FEATURES, new L1())

Similarly when creating a binary classifier, I will pass 2 as the number of categories and
thats it?

Having established that, what is the default category for a binary classifier? Lets say I
was building a classifier to recognize the industry sector for a news item. I have binary
models to classify things into technology or not technology, banking or not banking, health
or not health etc. I trained the technology model with technology related news as positive
and all the other news as negative (banking and health). Now if the technology model got a
news item to classify, from the media sector (which it was not trained on), what is the expected
behavior? Is it gonna say it's a technology news or its not a technology news? any default
behavior for unseen/untrained news items?
Hope I made the question clear.
Thanks