mahout-user mailing list archives

From Ahmed Elgohary <aagoh...@gmail.com>
Subject SSVD Wrong Singular Vectors
Date Sat, 01 Sep 2012 05:27:02 GMT
Hi,

I used mahout's stochastic svd implementation to find the singular vectors
and the singular vectors of a small matrix 99x100. Then, I compared the
results to the singular values and the singular vectors obtained using the
svd function in matlab and the single threaded version of the ssvd. I got
pretty much the same singular values using the 3 implementations. however,
the singular vectors of mahout's ssvd were significantly different. I tried
multiple values for the parameters P and Q but, that does not seem to solve
the problem. Does MR implementation of the SSVD do extra approximations
over the single threaded ssvd so their results might not be the same? Any
advice how I can tune mahout's ssvd to get the same singular vectors of the
single threaded ssvd?

thanks,

--ahmed