mahout-user mailing list archives

From Sean Owen <sro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: User and Item based recommender questions - real time updates & weighting similar items
Date Fri, 28 Sep 2012 10:29:11 GMT
The general model is that new input is read (from a file, DB, etc.)
only periodically. And that is accompanied by clearing out caches and
recomputing a lot of intermediate results. Updating in real-time is
possible, but comes at a big performance trade-off. So you have this
quasi-batch update process.

This model is true of all the recommendations. I am not sure I'd use
TreeClusteringRecommender; it is a naive implementation that is going
to be way slow in the model building phase -- exactly what you are
hoping to do frequently.

(I think this is an OK point for an ad break, since it's exactly on
topic: the problem of real-time updates is quite common and there's
not a great solution in the framework. Cold start and data fold-in are
two problems I wanted to explicitly solve in Myrrix
(http://myrrix.com), a  recommender product / project with the same
Mahout APIs and a different architecture and algorithm that makes this
easy. The piece you need is free and open source and would suggest you
take a look, if this is your primary requirement.)

You can't explicitly weight prefs in mostSimilarItems, but you can
pass several values, and you can pass some values multiple times, as a
crude way to effect a weighting.