mahout-user mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Using SVD-conditioned matrix
Date Sun, 16 Sep 2012 18:13:17 GMT
A is in there implicitly.

U_k provides a basis of the row space and V_k provides a basis of the
column space of A.  A itself has a representation in either of these
depending on whether you think of it as rows or columns.

The original question (possibly misphrased and not in so many words) asked
for a way to project any vector into the space spanned by A.  What space
this is depends on whether we have a new column vector (with n rows x 1
column) or a new row vector (with 1 row x m columns).  In either case, the
way to compute this is to project the vector onto the basis of interest
(U_k for column vectors, V_k for row vectors) and then reconstruct that
projection in the original space.

This is not usually a practical operation when we are working with sparse
vectors because the projected vector is not usually sparse.  Thus it is
usually better to stop before projecting back into the original space.