mahout-user mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: The default category of a binary classifier
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2012 21:54:25 GMT
If a classifier is presented text with no words in common with the training
data, it will give you back the most common category in the training data.

That said, it is likely to be quite rare when a new document consists
*entirely* of new words.  Any overlap with trained vocabulary is likely to
over-ride the basic frequencies of different categories.