mahout-user mailing list archives

From William Quinones <wilquinava...@googlemail.com>
Subject Similarity Matrix without preferences
Date Wed, 26 Sep 2012 14:10:49 GMT
Hello, I am currently writing my Bachelor thesis and am using Mahout for a
recommendation system. I bought the book Mahout in Action and understand
how the similarity matrix works for the distributed RecommenderJob.
However, this explanation only shows how it works when the user has
expressed some preferences towards the items. I would like to know how this
works when there are no preferences (booleanData true). Are all preference
values somehow inferred? Or treated as 1? I would also like to know what
role the similarity metrics play in these Map/Reduce implementation.

Thank you very much in advance,
William