mahout-user mailing list archives

From Abhishek Roy <abhishekr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Custom Item Similarity :datamodel not sure
Date Thu, 27 Sep 2012 17:48:44 GMT
Sean Owen <srowen <at> gmail.com> writes:

> File for FileDataModel? This does not change. But that input does not
> consist of item item pairs. Are you talking about something else?
> On Sep 27, 2012 5:10 PM, "Abhishek Roy" <abhishekroy8 <at> gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Sean,
> > For using a custom ItemSimilarity what should my data model file(item id1,
> > item
> > id2) include ?
> >
> > Please advise.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Roy

Thanks for the quick response Sean.
My end goal (short term) is to show "related / similar" items for my site when
the user(any user, including unregistered user) is looking at a particular item.
Basically I am looking at (rather created) a custom ItemSimilarity using domain
specific attributes that computes a similarity score between a pair of items. I
am using a GenericItemBasedRecommender and then calling n mostSimilarItems() to
get my recommendations. The problem is, and I didn't see anything on that in the
book as well as the forum, that I am not sure about the data model to feed to
the GenericItemBasedRecommender. I did a brute force, computed nC2(combinations)
of {item id, item id} pairs and fed that as the data model. Works, but
definitely not scalable and sensible. What data model does this kind of a system
need ? I am not having preference data(very little), and since this is content
based recommendation, am puzzled about the data to be encapsulated by the
datamodel. I hope I am clear..
Please suggest...