mahout-user mailing list archives

From "Daniel Donahoe" <dandona...@q.com>
Subject Seminal Random Forests speaker - FYI
Date Sun, 10 Feb 2013 17:27:19 GMT
Dear Colleagues:

As Vice Chair of the Utah section of the American Society of Mechanical
Engineers (ASME), I invited Professor Adele Cutler (Utah State University,
USU)  to speak on Big Data. The ASME/UT executive committee agreed, and the
meeting was hosted by the Mechanical Engineering Department at the
University of Utah on February 8th. Professor Cutler worked with Professor
Leo Breimen (her PhD advisor at UC Berkeley, now deceased) to create the
method now in Mahout named Random Forests. You can find more background on
RF on Adele's website at USU.  The link to the video of her talk will be
posted soon on the ASME/UT website. I recommend you check this out, because

I find that inventors/authors/creators usually have a different view than
you may expect, a profoundly insightful vantage point illuminated by an
unencumbered vision. [Note: Most engineers make a mistake ignoring history.
There is a good reason ABET requires undergraduate liberal art electives,
because initial conditions define the trajectory of events.]

We had some debate on how to pronounce "Mahout". Is the Hindi pronunciation
generally used, and if not, why?

Regards,

Dan Donahoe

N Salt Lake