mahout-user mailing list archives

From Jeff Eastman <j...@windwardsolutions.com>
Subject Re: Does something like an "explain" feature exist in Mahout for clustering.
Date Mon, 04 Feb 2013 22:28:40 GMT
That's a really good question. Mahout does not have an "explain"
feature; however, you can use the ClusterDumper to print out the cluster
centers and vectors clustered within each cluster. Output is pretty
verbose and, with large text vectors being truncated, might not be that
useful. You might need to write something to do this. Look at the
cluster evaluator tests for some hints.

Which algorithm were you using?

On 2/4/13 1:57 PM, Chris Harrington wrote:
> I was wondering if there was an explain feature in Mahout, something that gives the reason
why it did what it did, shows the values of the various features it used to evaluate and choose
the result, etc.

> Because I have some wildly different text data being clustered together, for example
it clustered these 2 together and I'd like to be able to figure out why

> Text 1: "Iron Butterfly Bassist Lee Dorman Dies at 70"
>
> Text 2: "The BEST Memes Of 2012 2012 was a landmark year for memes -- and we could say
that due to the Ikea Monkey alone -- but it's not always easy…"