mahout-user mailing list archives

From Jake Mannix <jake.man...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: can i run mahout algorithms on mobile device..
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2013 20:23:50 GMT
On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 7:19 AM, Chris Harrington <chris@heystaks.com> wrote:

> Kind of off topic but why Mahout and not Weka and why on a mobile device.
>
> Mahout is built to be scalable for large datasets, not something you'd
> associate with a mobile device.

Mahout scalability is about the *training set*.  For example, you run a
webmail service, you have tons and tons of spam and not-spam emails.  You
use Mahout to train a classifier on Hadoop using this training data, at the
end of the day, you spit out a sparse classifier model file, which could
reasonably be a *very small* blob, under 100-1000KB.

--

  -jake