mahout-user mailing list archives

From Dominik Hübner <cont...@dhuebner.com>
Subject Re: learning to tweak Mahout
Date Fri, 25 Oct 2013 18:15:39 GMT
IMHO learning Mahout without a use-case or a little side-project won’t get you far.
Try to find a use-case, pick an algorithm you might think is worth trying to solve the problem
and look at how Mahout implements the approach. I believe this will be the most efficient
way to “learn” Mahout.
All the auxiliary components aren’t too complicated.

On 25 Oct 2013, at 07:32, Manuel Blechschmidt <Manuel.Blechschmidt@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi Zack,
>
> Am 24.10.2013 um 13:19 schrieb zack jr:
>
>> Hi Manuel,
>>
>> Also, any suggestions on book/documentation about maven for novice folks would be
great.

> The only book that I know is Mahout in Action:
> http://manning.com/owen/
>
> But it is already quite old and does not fit the current version anymore. You can also
go to slideshare and search for mahout for finding some more recent content:
> http://de.slideshare.net/search/slideshow?searchfrom=header&q=Mahout
>
> e.g.
> http://de.slideshare.net/ManuelB86/apaxo-mahout-08-whats-new
> http://de.slideshare.net/sscdotopen/next-directions-in-mahouts-recommenders
>

>> Zack

but is it required to learn maven as well. I would definitely recommend that. If you want
to have an eclipse project that is pre-integrated with maven and includes the latest (0.8)
version of mahout feel free to use the following project as a baseline: https://github.com/ManuelB/facebook-recommender-demo
Mobil: 0173/6322621 Twitter: http://twitter.com/Manuel_B