mahout-user mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Solr-recommender
Date Wed, 09 Oct 2013 23:23:23 GMT
On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 12:54 PM, Michael Sokolov <
msokolov@safaribooksonline.com> wrote:

> On 10/9/13 3:08 PM, Pat Ferrel wrote:
>
>> Solr uses cosine similarity for it's queries. The implementation on
>> github uses Mahout LLR for calculating the item-item similarity matrix but
>> when you do the more-like-this query at runtime Solr uses cosine. This can
>> be fixed in Solr, not sure how much work.
>>
> It's not clear to me whether it's worth "fixing" this or not.  It would
> certainly complicate scoring calculations when mixing with traditional
> search terms.

I am pretty convinced it is not worth fixing.

This is particularly true because when you fix one count at 1 and take the
limiting form of LLR, you get something quite similar to LLR in any case.
 This means that Solr's current query is very close to what we want
theoretically ... certainly at least as close as theory is to practice.