mahout-user mailing list archives

From Angelo Immediata <angelo...@gmail.com>
Subject Information
Date Tue, 15 Oct 2013 06:49:50 GMT
Hi there

I'm pretty new to learning machine and apache mahout as well so pardon me
if this question is not too correct :)

I'm in a street routing project where, beside other functionalities, we
have to make forecasts. Precisely we should be able in forecasting the
medium speed in a street in a well know period season (e.g we should be
able in answering to this kind of question: on the american route 66 what
will be the medium speed in spring 2015?)
As far as I know in order to offer this functionality we should use some
learning machine; this is the reason I'm checking mahout (moreover we need
to guarantee high performance and since mahout is based on Apache hadoop
and since it uses Map/Reduce, it seems to me very amazing)
The first question I'ld love to do is: can I use Apache mahout in order to
implement the previously written funcionality?
If I can use it sure I'll need some data in order to "train" mahout....can
I train mahout in a different time respect to when i need the prevision? I
mean: can I make the train let's say every week at 10pm and then offer the
forecasting functionality only when a user is interested in it? Should I
store the training result in some way?
And the last, but not the least :), always if I can use mahout....which
algoritm should I use in order to implement my scenario?

Thank you for the help and pardon me if i was not too much corrected