mahout-user mailing list archives

From Gokhan Capan <gkhn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Decaying score for old preferences when using the .refresh()
Date Thu, 07 Nov 2013 08:50:40 GMT
Cassio,

I am not sure if there are direct/indirect ways to to this with existing
code.

Recall that an item neighborhood based score prediction, in simplest terms,
is a weighted average of the active user's ratings on other items, where
the weights are item-to-item similarities. Applying a decay function to
these item-to-item weights, where the the decay is based on the rating time
of the active user on the "other item"s can help to achieve this.

One consideration might be for users who do not change their rating
behavior much, this decay can mask valuable historical information.

This particular approach is discussed, and proven to increase the accuracy
in "Collaborative filtering with Temporal Dynamics" by Yehuda Koren. The
decay function is parameterized per user, keeping track of how consistent
the user behavior is.

If you think it is not necessary to estimate those per user parameters, in
Mahout's current neighborhood based recommenders, you might apply that
decay to item-to-item similarities at "recommendation time". Note that
DataModel#getPreferenceTime is the method you require. If you're using a
GenericItemBasedRecommender directly,
GenericItemBasedRecommender#doEstimatePreference is where your edits would
go. The benefit here is not having to update item-to-item similarities, so
you can still cache them.

Gokhan