mahout-user mailing list archives

From Ahmed Kamal <a.abdelfa...@live.com>
Subject Exposing Mahout recommender as a web service
Date Mon, 09 Dec 2013 16:06:55 GMT
Hi all ,

     Greetings, I'm building an asp.net application that should recommend items to users.
I decided to use Mahout for its popularity but I now want to expose Mahout recommender as
a web service so I can use it in my web app or any mobile apps that could be developed later.

In Mahout Documentation (https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAHOUT/Recommender+Documentation)
, I found this

A Mahout recommender can also be run as an external server, which may be the only option for
non-Java applications. It can be exposed as a web application via org.apach.mahout.cf.taste.web.RecommenderServlet,
and your application can then access recommendations via simple HTTP requests and response.
See above, and see the javadoc for details.

What should I do in order to be able to expose mahout as a web service ? Unfortunately ,
I don't have much knowledge in this field or in Java servlet but I writes Java SE. Can you
help ?

Note : I don't want to use Hadoop as I'm not going to deal with millions of users and also
this is my graduation project not a commercial product. Thanks in advance,

Regards ,

Ahmed Kamal Abdel-fatah

4th Year Computer Engineering Student

E-mail : a.abdelfatah@live.com