mahout-user mailing list archives

From Pat Ferrel <...@occamsmachete.com>
Subject Re: Solr recommender
Date Sat, 26 Apr 2014 17:50:33 GMT
True, making your project independent. That should already work so go for it.

On Apr 26, 2014, at 10:21 AM, Saikat Kanjilal <sxk1969@hotmail.com> wrote:

That shouldn't technically matter, my thought is to create a spring based elasticsearch recommender
that leverages spark cooccurrence underneath.

Sent from my iPad

> On Apr 26, 2014, at 10:07 AM, "Pat Ferrel" <pat@occamsmachete.com> wrote:
>
> Oh, and the example is old hadoop mapreduce, we’re redoing this with the new Spark
cooccurrence code, which will replace ItemSimilarity job.

> On Apr 26, 2014, at 10:03 AM, Pat Ferrel <pat@occamsmachete.com> wrote:
>
> If you want, fork the github repo, do the integration and create a pull request. If the
pull is accepted it will automatically be included in the Mahout build’s examples.

> Some things to consider:
> 1) It is actually easier to use either Solr/Lucid/ElasticSearch’s web GUI for bare-bones
illustration purposes. You’d have to enter the recs query by hand.  For demo purposes some
example queries could be created ahead of time to illustrate the recs generating queries.
I did this myself but didn’t include it in the example. I’d actually recommend this as
a simple illustration.
> 2) I’d suspect the Solr+DB integration route would be the most common way people would
actually use this but I could be wrong. This is what I did on the demo site but far beyond
what you’d put in an example.
> 3) What data to use? Unless the data has human readable item ids, the demo is not as
compelling

> I can’t give you the demo site’s data since I mined the web for it, which allows
me to use it but I don’t think I can republish it. Data actually gathered on the site by
users I could share but there isn’t enough to work with. Maybe Ted has some from his demo.

> On Apr 26, 2014, at 9:18 AM, Saikat Kanjilal <sxk1969@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On Apr 26, 2014, at 9:18 AM, "Saikat Kanjilal" <sxk1969@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Is it worth it to add in the elasticsearch piece into the demo and tie that into
a generic mvc framework like spring, in fact we could leverage spring data's elasticsearch
plugin.

>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>>> On Apr 26, 2014, at 9:08 AM, "Pat Ferrel" <pat@occamsmachete.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, it already does. It’s not named well, all it really does is create an
indicator matrix (item-item similarity using LLR) in a form that is digestible by a text indexer.
You could use Solr or ElasticSearch to do the indexing and queries.

>>> In the actual installation on the demo site https://guide.finderbots.com the
indicator matrix is put into a DB and Solr is used to index the item collection’s similarity
data field. The queries are handled by the web app framework. If I swapped out Solr for ElasticSearch
for indexing the DB, it would work just fine and I looked into how to integrate it with my
web app framework (RoR). The integration methods were significantly different though so I
chose not to do both.

>>> The reason I chose to put the indicator matrix in the DB is because it makes
it very convenient to mix metadata into the recs queries. In the case of the demo site where
the items are videos I have a bunch of recommendation types:
>>> 1) user-history based reqs—query is recent user “likes” history, the query
is on the videos collection specifying the similar items field, which is a list of video id
strings. This is most usually what people think a recommender does but is only the start.
>>> 2-9 are use various methods of biasing the results by genre metadata. Search
engines also allow filtering by fields so you can specify videos filtered by source. So you
can get comedies based on your “likes” filtered by source = Netflix. in fact when you
set the source filter to Netflix every set of recs will contain only those on Netflix

>>> There are so many ways to combine bias with filter and what you use as the query,
that putting the fields in a DB made the most sense. I am still thinking of new ways to use
this. For instance item-set similarity, which is used to give shopping cart recs in some systems.
On the demo site you could do the same with the watchlist if there were enough watchlists.
Use the user’s watchlist as query against all otehr watchlists and get back an ordered set
of watchlists most similar to yours, take recs from there.

>>> Some day I’ll write some blog posts about it but I’d encourage anyone with
data to try the DB route rather than raw indexing of the text files just for the amazing flexibility
and convenience it brings.

>>> On Apr 26, 2014, at 8:25 AM, Saikat Kanjilal <sxk1969@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Pat,
>>> I was wondering if you'd given any thought to genericizing the Solr recommender
to work with both Solr and elasticsearch, namely are there pieces of the recommender that
could plug into or be lifted above a search engine ( or in the case of elasticsearch a set
of rest APIs).  I would be very interested in helping out with this.