mahout-user mailing list archives

From Mario Levitin <mariolevi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Understanding LogLikelihood Similarity
Date Wed, 30 Apr 2014 21:31:14 GMT
Hi Ted,
I have read the paper. I understand the "Likelihood Ratio for Binomial
Distributions" part.
However, I cannot make a connection with this part and the contingency
table.

In order to calculate Likelihood Ratio for two Binomial Distributions you
need the values: p, p1, p2, k1, k2, n1, n2.
But the information contained in the contingency table are different from
these values. So, again, I do not understand how the information contained
in the contingency table is linked with Likelihood Ratio for Binomial
Distributions.

In order to find the similarity between two users I tend to think of the
boolean preferences of user1 as a sample from a binomial distribution and
the boolean preferences of user2 as another sample from a binomial
distribution. Then use the LLR to assess how likely these distributions are
the same. But I don't think this is correct since this calculation does not
use the contingency table.

I hope my question is clear.
Thanks.