mahout-user mailing list archives

From Pat Ferrel <...@occamsmachete.com>
Subject Re: TreeBasedRecommenders(Deprecated?)
Date Tue, 10 Jun 2014 23:07:36 GMT
There are simple ways to do this without maintaining a separate recommender.

First you can simply cluster the input matrix of users by items. Then recommend items closest
to the centroid of the cluster the user’s couple of items were in. But this seems dubious
for several reasons.

Better yet (maybe controversial since I don’t know the mathematical justification for this)
but you could cluster the indicator matrix of items by similar items. This is at least clustering
“important” similar items.

But it is even easier than clustering if you know a couple items the user has preferred just
get the most similar to those directly from the indicator matrix. The indicator matrix is
organized by an item per row and each row has similar items by strength of similarity. Add
all the rows the user has interacted with (using the strength values), sort, and recommend
the top n. The in-memory item-based recommender will give you the similar items for each item
the user preferred, all you need to do is add an sort.

To truly solve the cold start problem you have items and/or users with no interactions. This
calls for a metadata recommender and some context. If a user is on a page of a product with
no interactions, the metadata must tell which items are similar. In the case where you have
a user with no interactions and no context, you have to rely on things like the time-worn
popular and trending items.

You are certainly welcome here but questions like this usually go to the user@mahout.apache.org
list.