mahout-user mailing list archives

From "Martin, Nick" <NiMar...@pssd.com>
Subject Re: Recommend to a cluster of users
Date Fri, 11 Jul 2014 23:53:37 GMT
Couple thoughts/comments:

- How much anonymity are we talking about here? you have an IP which gives you (ostensibly)
geography. That's not entirely trivial...think about looking at purchasing characteristics
by geolocation. You can make some common sense decisions about what you recommend (ie maybe
dont pop a recommendation for flip flops to someone hitting you from Montreal in January).

- I can't speak to whether somebody's solved the cold start problem but I'd recommend taking
a look at how your customers acquire product categories/items/widgets in an early period of
their lifetime with you. Think looking at cohorts and comparing them to tease out if there's
a pattern of purchasing in the first n days of them being a customer. Absent that, I'd pitch
popular stuff with good margins :)

Hope that gets the wheels turning a bit. I don't think cold start is a "one size fits all"
kind of thing. Tough nut to crack.

Sent from my iPhone