mahout-user mailing list archives

From Aspasia Beneti <aspasia.ben...@gmail.com>
Subject Questions concerning k-means
Date Mon, 20 Oct 2014 14:31:31 GMT
Hello all,

I am using k-means to cluster some data and I have the following two
questions:

1. In a Cluster what is the difference of  the centre and the centroid in
the specific implementation? I was trying to grasp the convergence
condition by looking at the code and I saw that the distance between the
centre and the centroid is calculated. I think I understand what the
centroid is but what is the centre then?

2. Why the k-means results have 2 final clusters? I compared the results
with R kmeans and it seems that the later final cluster is the right one.
But what is the first one then?

Sorry if this information is somewhere available but I couldn't find it so
far. Any help will be much appreciated.

Aspasia