mahout-user mailing list archives

From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: User based recommender
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2014 16:28:27 GMT
On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 6:22 AM, Yash Patel <yashpatel1230@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have multiple different columns such as category,shipping location,item
> price,online user, etc.
>
> How can i use all these different columns and improve recommendation
> quality(ie.calculate more precise similarity between users by use of
> location,item price) ?

For some kinds of information, you can build cross recommenders off of that
other information.  That incorporates this other information in an
item-based system.

Simply hand coding a similarity usually doesn't work well.  The problem is
that you don't really know which factors really represent actionable and
non-redundant user similarity.