mahout-user mailing list archives

From Pat Ferrel <...@occamsmachete.com>
Subject Re: CachingUserSimilarity concurrency issue.
Date Sun, 27 Dec 2015 17:03:29 GMT
That is from some very old code that is on the deprecation path. Mahout doesn’t accept Hadoop
Mapreduce code anymore and this is even older, part of the Taste in-memory recommender. So
if you change it, you may have to maintain it yourself.

If you want something more modern, check out the Mahout + Spark + Search engine recommender
here: https://templates.prediction.io/PredictionIO/template-scala-parallel-universal-recommendation.
Too many new features to list here but still based on the SimilarityAnalysis part of Mahout.

> On Dec 26, 2015, at 1:20 PM, Tomasz Tretkowski <ttretkowski@wp.pl> wrote:
>
> Hi all.
>
> I am using GenericBooleanPrefItemBasedRecommender with Tanimoto similarity.
> To improve performance I used CachingUserSimilarity (code below)
>
> public Recommender buildRecommender(DataModel dataModel) throws TasteException {
>        UserSimilarity similarity = new CachingUserSimilarity(new TanimotoCoefficientSimilarity(similarityDataModel),
similarityDataModel);
>        UserNeighborhood neighborhood = new NearestNUserNeighborhood(8, Double.NEGATIVE_INFINITY,
similarity, dataModel, 1.0);
>        return new GenericBooleanPrefUserBasedRecommender(dataModel, neighborhood, similarity);
>    }
>
> However when I ran load tests on my server then I found that only about two out of eight
cpu cores were utilized. The rest was waiting idle in org.apache.mahout.cf.taste.impl.common.Cache.get
method. That is probably due to the fact that Cache.get method used in CachingUserSimilarity
looks like this:
> public V get(K key) throws TasteException {
>    V value;
>    synchronized (cache) {
>      value = cache.get(key);
>    }
>
> Threads doing concurrent reads are blocking each other. I would expect standard double-checked
locking pattern there to avoid that if it is not necessary (i.e. there is a hit and the cache
is not modified).