mahout-user mailing list archives

From Suneel Marthi <smar...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Removing MAHOUT_LOCAL option
Date Mon, 21 Mar 2016 15:45:46 GMT
Some background on this issue:

1.  Now that we support Spark and H2O as back ends since 0.10.0 and Flink
coming soon in 0.12.0, its been bloating the size of our release artifacts
when pushing releases to Apache mirrors. Hence we were looking at pruning
some of the components that have not been used or have been long marked
deprecated and are not being worked on.

2.  Since Mahout 0.7 release in June 2012, the project has diverged from
the MiA book even for legacy MapReduce.  Not sure if that's indeed helping
onboard new users.

3.  Seems like the consensus so far based on the user responses is to
retain the MAHOUT_LOCAL the option, thanks all for your responses.