The thing I'm trying to understand is that the decoupled approach works equally well for the requirements where you do have acl information at index time. I guess I'm not understanding the advantages to making schema changes and binding acl to data, when there's really no need. I particularly like your idea of using LCF as the facilitator of storing/retrieving such decoupled data (as opposed to just an xml file). It sounds like there's even a user interface for 'non-technical' staff to make acl configuration changes. That's really cool, and ultimately an elegant solution that will fit present and future needs.

Kind regards,
Peter

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 1:24 AM, <karl.wright@nokia.com> wrote:
Hi Peter,

I'm more than happy to hear your customer's requirements, so no problem there.  It does seem to me that they are a bit different than what I've seen.  I think there is plenty of room for different flavors of solution, so please by all means go ahead and propose your take on it!

Karl

From: ext Peter Sturge [peter.sturge@googlemail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 8:07 PM
Cc: connectors-user@incubator.apache.org; connectors-dev@incubator.apache.org; lucene-dev@apache.org
Subject: Re: FW: Solr and LCF security at query time

Hi Karl,

I wasn't trying to to put pay to your design proposal, really the opposite - to highlight requirements that have found to be necessary for customers/users, and to hopefully get the best functionality for the product. If you feel I've put you out on any of the issues raised, then I apologize for that, it was certainly not my intention.

Peter