manifoldcf-user mailing list archives

From Karl Wright <daddy...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Need Help on setting up ManifoldCF
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2012 18:47:07 GMT
On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 1:13 PM, Anupam Bhattacharya
<anupamb82@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Karl,
>
> Thanks for adding this to the JIRA system.
>
> The dfc.properties was introduced from Documentum 6.0 version onwards & as
> per manifoldcf connector documentation
> (http://incubator.apache.org/connectors/en_US/included-connectors.html) the
> out-of the box connector classes were tested against DFC 5.3 SP5 which
> needed the dmcl.ini file. Thus run.bat must have been configured properly
> for that dmcl.ini.

Right - so does DFC 6.0 on Windows require the DOCUMENTUM environment
variable to be set to point at the directory where dfc.properties is
found?  Or perhaps it doesn't require the DOCUMENTUM environment
variable at all anymore?

> As I am trying to connect to DFC 6.5 SP3 version i need to look for
> dfc.properties file. I hope the out-of the box documentum connector will
> work with 6.5 version.

It was tried and worked.  The script was developed later with only the
5.3 version available.

> I am confused, why for all connector we have Client & Server version ? Can
> you please explain.

Do you mean "why is there a documentum-connector-server" process?  If
that's the question, it was created for two reasons:
(1) We had problems with stability of DFC.  It segfaults occasionally,
somewhere in its native code.  We did not want that to bring down
ManifoldCF, and we wanted to be able to restart the part of the
connector that depended on DFC transparently when it crashed.
(2) DFC has dependencies on many older open-source jars that conflict
with the rest of ManifoldCF.  If (1) was not a problem we might have
used a classloader to fix this, but since we had to fix both we
created a separate process.

FWIW, we do the same thing for FileNet because of its dependency on Wasp.

Karl