manifoldcf-user mailing list archives

From Marcus Kröller <marcus.kroel...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: manifoldcf 0.5 from Windows Dev machine to Debian Server
Date Wed, 09 May 2012 11:45:07 GMT
Thank you for the quick feedback,

Tomcat is used in the Windows environment as well (Tomcat 7, manually fixed
the <taglib> issues before stumbling over the mailing list entry). In both
cases I use the setenv.[bat/sh] in tomcat/bin to set the manifold and solr
paths. I am pretty sure the config is found since mcf accesses the DB which
is configured there.

The synch directory has (temporary) full access for everybody. But the sub
directories which get created obviously only have write access for tomcat6
their creator (is that configurable?). The agent process (run as root) does
not complain about anything, but .../mcf-crawler-ui/listjobs.jsp becomes
stuck.

*Jackpot. * Running the agent as tomcat6 does indeed work. I am totally
sure to have tried that before contacting the mailing list, but it seams i
never cleaned the sync dir after running as root.

Thanks a ton for the inspiration. I hope I won't have to bother you here
anymore.

Kindest regards,

Marcus Kröller

Student Research Assistant - Fraunhofer IGD Rostock

2012/5/9 Karl Wright <daddywri@gmail.com>

> Did you use Tomcat on Windows?
>
> There is a -D switch you need to use when starting Tomcat which tells
> ManifoldCF web applications where to find the properties.xml file.  It
> may be that you'd need to make modifications to the tomcat startup
> (/etc/init.d/tomcat6) to set that property.
>
> The other thing to note is that, unless you change something explicit,
> under Debian tomcat runs as the "tomcat6" user.  So your sync
> directory has to be both readable and writeable by that user, as well
> as the user that runs the agents process.  Indeed, at MetaCarta we
> gave up and ran everything as the tomcat6 user - it seemed easier.
>
> Karl
>
> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 6:14 AM, Marcus Kröller
> <kroeller@igd-r.fraunhofer.de> wrote:
> > Hello everybody,
> >
> > for searching internal resources (MySQL DBs, Wiki, Filesystem, own JDBC
> > based connector) we have created a ManifoldCF and Solr instance (0.5 and
> > 3.4). "Development" happened on Windows (7) machines and everything is
> > running as desired.
> > Now I am facing the challenge of getting it all to run on a Debian
Server
> > with a Tomcat6 and PGSQl 8.4 on the same machine. Configuration paths
should
> > be adjusted properly. The webapps and the agent start individually. We
are
> > using scripts calling the JAVA command API as well as the servlet API
via
> > curl (easier for connection/job creation using json files) to
initialise DB,
> > register Agent, connectors, connections etc. (which have been
translated to
> > bash including EOL characters).
> >
> > The problem is: following the script the servlet API does not respond
and
> > the Crawler UI hangs on the empty template when requesting any of the
lists
> > (Connections, Jobs, etc.). When restoring a database dump from the
Windows