Hi Will,

Here's an example of the code that attempts to access the log:

                EventLog.WriteEntry("MCPermissions.asmx", "Error: "+ex.Message+"; SPContext.Current.Web.Url='"+SPContext.Current.Web.Url+"'");

So I believe it will be trying to access the event log, and it is failing to do that.  Once that issue is resolved, the fact is that it does not even attempt to log anything unless an earlier error occurred.  So there is more than one error involved.

Karl