manifoldcf-user mailing list archives

From Karl Wright <daddy...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: Pushing extra items into an index (outside normal crawl job)
Date Thu, 15 Aug 2013 17:39:11 GMT
Hi Adrian,

There is already a concept of job priority.  It is on a scale of one to
ten, by default the value is 5.

Your second idea is also somewhat similar to a "minimal" job run.  Might
want to look into that as well.  Depending on your connector these two
constructs together might well work for you.

Karl

Sent from my Windows Phone
------------------------------
From: Adrian Conlon
Sent: 8/15/2013 12:18 PM
To: user@manifoldcf.apache.org
Subject: Pushing extra items into an index (outside normal crawl job)

    Hi All,

I’ve been asked to consider adding items to an index outside normal
repository crawl job processing (e.g. to reduce the latency of a document
being added to a repository and being available in the index)

My initial thoughts on this are that this doesn’t really fit in with the
current ManifoldCF architecture.

With that in mind, I’ve come up with a couple of ideas (neither tested, nor
thought through!) that I’d like to run past the list to see whether they:

a)      Have the possibility of being reasonable

b)      Might be something that could be passed back into the ManifoldCF
project (perhaps as a contrib)

Idea one (probably the most work, but perhaps architecturally most clean):

1)      Introduce the idea of priority into ManifoldCF queues

2)      Add an extra “mcf” web service that allows queue injection

Idea two (easiest, if it works, but quite “hacky”):

1)      Add a web service that uses some “mcf” code to send documents
directly to the output connector

2)      Obviously, this can’t go through the ManifoldCF queues

3)      Relies upon a normal mcf job to tidy up any anomalies that might
have occurred (deleting and re-ingesting would be fine, I think)

How do these sound?  Are they worth thinking about?  Or indeed (better
yet!), is there a better way I haven’t thought of…?

Thanks,

Adrian