manifoldcf-user mailing list archives

From Karl Wright <daddy...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Sharepoint SID extraction for groups
Date Wed, 06 Nov 2013 13:37:23 GMT
Hi Will,

The current connector indeed maps SharePoint groups to individual user
SIDs.  That is not terribly scalable, and it is one reason why I've created
dedicated SharePoint authorities in the CONNECTORS-754-2 branch, so that we
can authorize documents at a group level.

I've also done considerable research on the ClaimSpace security model.
Supporting it fully has required some modifications to the basic
authorization model that ManifoldCF uses to tie documents to authorities.
This basic work is done and is now part of trunk as well.  And the
documentation has been updated to describe the revised authorization model.

If you want to try working with the CONNECTORS-754-2 branch, I'd be very
happy to interact with you to iron out any problems.  What you will need to
do if you try it out is the following:

(1) Create an authority group for your SharePoint instance
(2) Create a "SharePoint/Native" authority tied to that authority group
(3) If this is a claim-space SharePoint instance, then also create a
"SharePoint/Active Directory" authority tied to the same authority group
(4) Create your SharePoint repository connection, making sure to select
"Native" mode

The implementation is currently the best I can do in the absence of a
full-blown Claim Space instance.  Even so, there are still questions in my
mind that, if I could solve them, would help clarify the implementation.
For example, what "Role Definitions" do - are they essentially just another
form of group?  And, whether it is better to use a user, group, or role
definition's name for an access token, or the ID?  Perhaps you can clarify
a bit, I don't know...

Thanks,
Karl