I should also mention that I've done *precisely* the test you describe against PostgreSQL -- shutting the database down in the middle of a crawl, and restarting it.  Everything works fine in that case -- the PostgreSQL JDBC driver seems quite able to reestablish connections that have gone stale.  It's just MySQL that doesn't do it properly, apparently.

Karl