manifoldcf-user mailing list archives

From Karl Wright <daddy...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Re: Re: Should a document with an empty version string always be reingested?
Date Fri, 04 Mar 2016 12:42:40 GMT
Hi Markus,

I agree that is one key bit of code, and I agree with your analysis.

There obviously needs to be a way to signal "I don't have a meaningful
document version string", and an empty string is not unreasonable for this
purpose.  However, there's more to it than that.

Specifically, the pipeline code is designed to make intelligent decisions
on an output connection by output connection basis whether to index the
document in that connector.  There is also an API concern: specifically, we
*expect* that the caller will have checked whether a document needs to be
indexed or not at the root level.  So the whole clause you have mentioned
is, theoretically, unnecessary, if the connector is written right.  But we
can't count on that.

I will look through other connectors to see if there is any problem with an
empty string being used as a signal for "don't care".  I will get back to
you.

Karl