manifoldcf-user mailing list archives

From "Markus Schuch" <markus_sch...@web.de>
Subject Aw: Re: Should a document with an empty version string always be reingested?
Date Fri, 04 Mar 2016 11:40:53 GMT

Hi Karl,

thanks for the fast response.

We have a simple connector (written before 1.7), that produces documents from an XML file
and we use the empty version string to trigger ingestion on every job run. Meaning the empty
version string is considered as "alwaysRefetch" and the created document is always sent down
the pipeline along with this empty version string.
(the connector was relying on the 1.x BaseRepositoryConnector)

I noticed the backward compatibility code in the BaseRepositoryConnector in 1.7+ and i used
this code to wire our custom connector code to the new 2.3 interface.
I debugged the document processing and - as expected - ingestDocumentWithException is still
called every time, as before, since an empty version string is still considered as alwaysRefetch.
But the sent document is only ingested to the ouputrepository at the first time the job runs.
On consecutive runs the output step stays inactive.

I think we can boil my issue down to a specific question about one method of IProcessActivity
interface:

  ingestDocumentWithException(String documentIdentifier, String version, String documentURI,
RepositoryDocument data)

Let's assume the following example flow (starting from an empty and clean MCF 2.3 system):

(1) In a first run of my job

      ingestDocumentWithException( "identiferX", "", "documentUriX", repoDoc) // second
param is empty version string

    is called. This leads to ingestion of the document with the URI "documentUriX".

(2) In a second run of my job

      ingestDocumentWithException( "identiferX", "", "documentUriX", repoDoc) // second param
is empty version string

    is called again (with the same arguments).

What is the expected behavior here?
Should the document be ingested again or not?
And if not, how should i trigger ingestion? By sending always a null version down the pipeline?

The actual behavior
- In 1.7 it is ingested again.
- in 2.3 it is _not_ ingested again.

Regards,