manifoldcf-user mailing list archives

From Jörn Franke <jornfra...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CSWS Connector : ServiceConstructionException: Failed to create service
Date Thu, 30 Jan 2020 12:48:18 GMT
Sorry yes i was busy - will do it tonight

> Am 30.01.2020 um 13:00 schrieb Karl Wright <daddywri@gmail.com>:
>

> Hi,
>
> I've been waiting for a ticket to appear that summarizes what's been happening for this
issue but I haven't seen one.  Can you bring us up to date?  Thanks in advance,
> Karl
>
>> On Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 12:06 PM Jörn Franke <jornfranke@gmail.com> wrote:
>> i try to help. I will create a Jira if you do not mind where I also explain how I
make the WSDL thing working for https, which could not have worked before.
>> Reason is that for fetching the WSDL it uses a completely different approach (WSDL4Java),
where in the connector code no truststore was defined  (only for doing actually SOAP requests).
This was fixed and it can create the service. But then after service creation in the following
lines of codes it fetches the xsd which does not work (it says it cannot find them), which
is strange as the Url is correct and reachable. Hence, I suspect it does not understand it
is a http URL but instead it tries to open it on the file system.
>> I am pretty busy at the moment, but I try to support and give feedback as soon as
possible.

>> I don’t know what is different to your 2 installations - maybe they are http or
partly http or there is some patch to the code that did not make it into the git.
>> I can tell that I can test with Content Server 10 as well as 16.
>> SOAP UI has no problem and in the end it does exactly the same (starting from the
https WSDL etc.)

>>> The whole web services java + cxf architecture is pretty mysterious.  The only
way I've made progress is by finding code snippets in stackoverflow; the documentation is
not adequate.  BUT there are configuration files that determine how the WSDL parser resolves
references.  I don't know how we would force that configuration to be in effect but something
like that would need to be done.  I'm just surprised that you're having this problem when
two other installations didn't.  There must be a difference somewhere.

>>> Karl

catalogue xml to fetch it directly from the https. For some reasons it can fetch the WSDL
(after my fix), but not the included xsds despite that in the error message it has the correct
url of them.
of those? In the Code i did not find anything suspicious.

for your fast and detailed answer. Really appreciated. I hope I can give back with the solution
to fetch WSDLs from https and maybe a solution to this problem (maybe other will face this
as well).

file - no clue why) - after the modification I made. The only problem I see now is that the
xsd to which the WSDL is referring are not fetched. The bizarre thing is that the https url
that it mention for the xsd is absolutely correct. So I assume it does not understand an http
url, maybe that is related to configuration.

ONLY way the wsdls were accessed, and made lots of changes to the wsdls accordingly, so that
they referenced other wsdls via the "file system".  The wsdls are the fixed up ones that are
used to build the java stubs locally, plus a config file that's supposed to tell CXF how to
resolve referenced wsdls.  That config file may or may not be correct, because we never were
able to get CXF to use the local resource wsdls during actual connection.

sourced.  I have no idea how that can be.  I had assumed it was done one way or the other
but not both.

but the resource wsdls are not being found?  Removing the meta-inf from the jar would then
force everything to go through https.  Ideally I'd love it if that wasn't needed and we could
get the resource fetch working everywhere.

solution in Jira and everyone can check. Maybe their wsdl is accessible through http?

of WSDL did not - as this is through another mechanism.

look very similar to the repository.

to access the xsd through a https url (which is perfectly accessible for the server).
local file system only or similar?

installations of the csws connector working in the field, at least one of them using secure
connections.

we had, by restructuring the code according to a number of articles we found.  This was supposedly
tested and worked in one installation.  Nobody has ever reported issues with the wsdls being
fetched however; I worry that you may have a different version of OpenText that is incompatible
with the one we developed against.  That's the problem with this kind of architecture; unless
the wsdls are included in the jar there can be issues.  We tried to do that too but were unable
to get it to work.

<jornfranke@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
(it is not perfect yet as it does not use the truststore yet but this I can fix) - I will
share later in a Jira.
document /Authentication?xsd=2 relative to Authenticaton?wsdl#types1

cross it then please let me know.

SSL was never fully solved from what i read in the corresponding issue. Apparently, the fetching
of the WSDL itself through https was not possible. Do you remember still some insights beyond
what is written in the issue ?

Wright <daddywri@gmail.com>:

> [...]
in properties.xml. Here people could set it to SSL, TLS, TLSv1.2 (to restrict it to TLS1.2
=> some companies may want that!). Is this a viable option? That would be also future proof.
We can leave it by default to SSL, but we should put in the example config files TLS by default
(so new starters do not get even the idea to use an outdated protocol) AND put a comment with
recommendation to use/enforce always newest protocols for security reasons. Of course, the
choice is then with the people using the software.
from your point of view?

PM Karl Wright <daddywri@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
do here.  What's important is what  *existing servers* support, since that is what we're connecting
with.

have probably upgraded to web servers that support TLS.  But we can't guarantee it, nor can
we assume that people have upgraded to the most modern version of TLS exclusively.  In fact
I think we can assume they have *not*.  When the SSL issues were discovered a couple of years
back, the standard recommendation was simply to *disable* SSLv1 and SSLv2, not to upgrade
to Java 11 or some such.  We still support (and have people using!!) early forms of NTLM (v1
to be specific), for instance.  We're not going to be able to wag the dog here.  Breaking
changes of this kind usually mean we go to a whole new major version of MCF.

SSLContext.getSSLFactory("TLS") produces a SSLSocketFactory that works with all versions of
TLS and SSL that do not have known security holes, I would support changing over to that.
 If it turns out we need much more specificity about the kind of SSLSocketFactory we produce,
then we need a better solution anyhow for handling multiple protocols in one socket factory.

into that further, but Current browsers stop supporting anything below TLSv1.2 in March 2020.
than ten years. I expect any server running nowadays will always have tls support.
since some time now. From a security perspective it should even break servers that run only
SSL as they are inherently insecure and also clients that only support SSL are adding to this.
how this should be made configurable then I can look into this.

10:52 schrieb Karl Wright <daddywri@gmail.com>:

> [...]
jdk8.  Jdk11 is non trivial to support because of the removal of many jdk classes connectors
need.  It will be ported at some point but not lightly.

SSL would certainly break many installations upon upgrade  and we do not do that lightly.

mcf supplies its connectors should therefore be updated to support but not mandate tls.  The
protocol specification one gives to sslcontext is not a detailed one but rather a major version.
 What I don't know is whether"tlsv1" also allows for older protocols etc.

1:19 AM Jörn Franke <jornfranke@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
but I will need to rebuild.
TLSv1 - this is already outphased and will lock out TLSv1.2. I try TLS only as it includes
all TLS protocols (depends on JDK).

by this (however as I said there are other parts of the code where there is a getInstance(TLS).
And some caveats: On JDK6+7 TLS only means TLSv1 (and newer TLS Protocols are deactivated)
on JDK8 it means also that newer TLS protocols are enabled.
opinion - a SSL only one is a significant security hole and given how old TLS support is JDK
i would be surprised if there is someone using such a server (most Organisations should switch
to TLSv1.2 in any case as all protocols below have been broken).
all JDKs - probably JDK8 should be recommended as it seems to have all TLS protocols activated
when using „TLS“. Older JDKs seem to deactivate TLSv1.1 and TLSv1.2 when using TLS. I
will write more about this in the JIRA, once I verified that this solves the problem.
only - I will investigate what that implies.
JDK11?

um 00:08 schrieb Karl Wright <daddywri@gmail.com>:

> [...]
just change the code to read as follows when it creates the SSLContext:

= SSLContext.getInstance("TLSv1");

if TLS will downgrade to SSL if that's all that's available.

14, 2020 at 6:02 PM Jörn Franke <jornfranke@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
do not change this setting as what I suspect happens here. See my previous mail for details.

14.01.2020 um 23:51 schrieb Karl Wright <daddywri@gmail.com>:

> [...]
looks TLS is actually enabled in the SSLSocketFactory framework based on how you create the
SSLSocketContext.  See:

Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 5:48 PM Karl Wright <daddywri@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
design of ManifoldCF deliberately manages keystores on a connection by connection basis, not
globally.  If you think the only way to implement TLS is via global keystore I very much doubt
it.

am on the road until late tomorrow but somewhere along the line I can do some research into
why TLS won't work as we are currently doing it.

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 12:56 PM Jörn Franke <jornfranke@gmail.com> wrote:

These are TLS only. So maybe you have other servers where tls and ssl are possible and it
downgrades to ssl.however, this is speculation and I need to verify it. I have to rebuilt
manifold for that. Probably I have to reinstall everything as the keystorefactory is a dependency
in the connector.

Am 14.01.2020 um 18:34 schrieb Karl Wright <daddywri@gmail.com>:

If you can recommend changes to support TLS, that would be great.  The basic infrastructure
should still work; it is just a custom keystone and associated SSLSocketFactory, which I think
also is used for TLS connections, unless I am missing something.

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020, 9:38 AM Jörn Franke <jornfranke@gmail.com> wrote:

Yes this works fine. I believe the error comes from the fact that TLS connections are not
supported.

Am 14.01.2020 um 15:31 schrieb Michael Cizmar <michael.cizmar@mcplusa.com>:

If you want to test the url and the ssl, I would recommend attempting using SSLPoke to confirm
that they keystore is setup properly:

https://github.com/MichalHecko/SSLPoke

Michael

From: Karl Wright <daddywri@gmail.com>

Date: Tuesday, January 14, 2020 at 7:21 AM

To: "user@manifoldcf.apache.org" <user@manifoldcf.apache.org>

Subject: Re: CSWS Connector : ServiceConstructionException: Failed to create service

Hmm, others have succeeded setting up SSL connections with the current code.  Hoping they
chime in here.

Karl

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020, 8:19 AM Jörn Franke <jornfranke@gmail.com> wrote:

It seems that it has indeed a certificate issue as it cannot find a valid certification path
to the target. The thing is: I added those certificates in the UI should it should not happen.

Am 10.01.2020 um 20:51 schrieb Jörn Franke <jornfranke@gmail.com>:

2.15 ...

I will try on the weekend to see if I can get some logs out of it.

Am 10.01.2020 um 19:02 schrieb Karl Wright <daddywri@gmail.com>:

Can I ask what version of MCF you are using?  There were issues with SSL in the first release
of the csws connector if I recall correctly, that were fixed for the second release.

Karl

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 11:42 AM Jörn Franke <jornfranke@gmail.com> wrote:

I added root, intermediate and server certificate (in base64 cer, it seems to be recognized
by manifoldcf), but I still get the same message. I will try to get somehow the full stacktrace

Am 10.01.2020 um 17:21 schrieb Karl Wright <daddywri@gmail.com>:

If you are using SSL you need to have the proper certificate saved in the connection's keystore.

Karl

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 11:20 AM Jörn Franke <jornfranke@gmail.com> wrote:

It is actually a server using configuration of the command - driven multi-process model (but
the agents executed as a service and the war on a tomcat executed as a service) under Linux.

I thought as well that it cannot reach the webservices, the question is why. On the same server
I can reach the webservices and fetch the WSDL without issues.

Maybe sth related to ssl ?

Am 10.01.2020 um 14:59 schrieb Karl Wright <daddywri@gmail.com>:

How are you running manifoldcf?  Single process example, or a custom setup of some kind?

This exception is a "catch all" exception generated far below anything in ManifoldCF, but
usually means it cannot download the WSDLs from the service.  Getting the full exception dumped
in the log requires a "hack" to the check() method of the connector, but I'm pretty sure that's
what's happening anyway.

Karl

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 8:50 AM Jörn Franke <jornfranke@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

I tried to use the CSWS connector, but already for the Authority connection I receive a org.apache.cxf.service.factory.ServiceConstructionException:
Failed to create service.

Unfortunately I don’t see more details , also not in the log (debug is activated). I try
to get a little bit more output by modifying the connector, but maybe someone has already
an idea why this can happen?

Are there some special instructions to use it? The pointers to the webservices are correct,
I tested via Curl and SOAPUI.

Thank you.

Best regards