manifoldcf-user mailing list archives

From Jörn Franke <jornfra...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CSWS Connector : ServiceConstructionException: Failed to create service
Date Wed, 22 Jan 2020 10:11:36 GMT
Sorry I did not have much time, my next action plan is to try to modify the catalogue xml to
fetch it directly from the https. For some reasons it can fetch the WSDL (after my fix), but
not the included xsds despite that in the error message it has the correct url of them.
Are you aware of any configuration that tries to force file based access of those? In the
Code i did not find anything suspicious.

> Am 22.01.2020 um 10:28 schrieb Karl Wright <daddywri@gmail.com>:
>

> Has there been any news?
> I'd love to get this tied up so that you're able to proceed.
> Karl
>
>> On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 12:08 PM Jörn Franke <jornfranke@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Ok I understand. I will try and let you know. Thanks again very much for your fast
and detailed answer. Really appreciated. I hope I can give back with the solution to fetch
WSDLs from https and maybe a solution to this problem (maybe other will face this as well).

>> About the connector: the WSDL is successfully fetched via https (not file - no clue
why) - after the modification I made. The only problem I see now is that the xsd to which
the WSDL is referring are not fetched. The bizarre thing is that the https url that it mention
for the xsd is absolutely correct. So I assume it does not understand an http url, maybe that
is related to configuration.

>>> The WSDLS are bundled with the jar.  We intended this to be the ONLY way the
wsdls were accessed, and made lots of changes to the wsdls accordingly, so that they referenced
other wsdls via the "file system".  The wsdls are the fixed up ones that are used to build
the java stubs locally, plus a config file that's supposed to tell CXF how to resolve referenced
wsdls.  That config file may or may not be correct, because we never were able to get CXF
to use the local resource wsdls during actual connection.

>>> Except now they seem to be both fetched via https AND locally sourced.  I have
no idea how that can be.  I had assumed it was done one way or the other but not both.

>>> Perhaps the problem is that the configuration file is being read but the resource
wsdls are not being found?  Removing the meta-inf from the jar would then force everything
to go through https.  Ideally I'd love it if that wasn't needed and we could get the resource
fetch working everywhere.

>>> Karl

Jira and everyone can check. Maybe their wsdl is accessible through http?

- as this is through another mechanism.

through a https url (which is perfectly accessible for the server).

of the csws connector working in the field, at least one of them using secure connections.

restructuring the code according to a number of articles we found.  This was supposedly tested
and worked in one installation.  Nobody has ever reported issues with the wsdls being fetched
however; I worry that you may have a different version of OpenText that is incompatible with
the one we developed against.  That's the problem with this kind of architecture; unless the
wsdls are included in the jar there can be issues.  We tried to do that too but were unable
to get it to work.

yet as it does not use the truststore yet but this I can fix) - I will share later in a Jira.
relative to Authenticaton?wsdl#types1

fully solved from what i read in the corresponding issue. Apparently, the fetching of the
WSDL itself through https was not possible. Do you remember still some insights beyond what
is written in the issue ?

Here people could set it to SSL, TLS, TLSv1.2 (to restrict it to TLS1.2 => some companies
may want that!). Is this a viable option? That would be also future proof. We can leave it
by default to SSL, but we should put in the example config files TLS by default (so new starters
do not get even the idea to use an outdated protocol) AND put a comment with recommendation
to use/enforce always newest protocols for security reasons. Of course, the choice is then
with the people using the software.
of view?

<daddywri@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
 What's important is what  *existing servers* support, since that is what we're connecting
with.

upgraded to web servers that support TLS.  But we can't guarantee it, nor can we assume that
people have upgraded to the most modern version of TLS exclusively.  In fact I think we can
assume they have *not*.  When the SSL issues were discovered a couple of years back, the standard
recommendation was simply to *disable* SSLv1 and SSLv2, not to upgrade to Java 11 or some
such.  We still support (and have people using!!) early forms of NTLM (v1 to be specific),
for instance.  We're not going to be able to wag the dog here.  Breaking changes of this kind
usually mean we go to a whole new major version of MCF.

produces a SSLSocketFactory that works with all versions of TLS and SSL that do not have known
security holes, I would support changing over to that.  If it turns out we need much more
specificity about the kind of SSLSocketFactory we produce, then we need a better solution
anyhow for handling multiple protocols in one socket factory.

<jornfranke@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
but Current browsers stop supporting anything below TLSv1.2 in March 2020.
I expect any server running nowadays will always have tls support.
now. From a security perspective it should even break servers that run only SSL as they are
inherently insecure and also clients that only support SSL are adding to this.
be made configurable then I can look into this.

Wright <daddywri@gmail.com>:

> [...]
non trivial to support because of the removal of many jdk classes connectors need.  It will
be ported at some point but not lightly.

break many installations upon upgrade  and we do not do that lightly.

connectors should therefore be updated to support but not mandate tls.  The protocol specification
one gives to sslcontext is not a detailed one but rather a major version.  What I don't know
is whether"tlsv1" also allows for older protocols etc.

to rebuild.
is already outphased and will lock out TLSv1.2. I try TLS only as it includes all TLS protocols
(depends on JDK).

(however as I said there are other parts of the code where there is a getInstance(TLS). And
some caveats: On JDK6+7 TLS only means TLSv1 (and newer TLS Protocols are deactivated) on
JDK8 it means also that newer TLS protocols are enabled.
only one is a significant security hole and given how old TLS support is JDK i would be surprised
if there is someone using such a server (most Organisations should switch to TLSv1.2 in any
case as all protocols below have been broken).
JDK8 should be recommended as it seems to have all TLS protocols activated when using „TLS“.
Older JDKs seem to deactivate TLSv1.1 and TLSv1.2 when using TLS. I will write more about
this in the JIRA, once I verified that this solves the problem.
investigate what that implies.

code to read as follows when it creates the SSLContext:

to SSL if that's all that's available.

this setting as what I suspect happens here. See my previous mail for details.

23:51 schrieb Karl Wright <daddywri@gmail.com>:

> [...]
actually enabled in the SSLSocketFactory framework based on how you create the SSLSocketContext.
 See:

at 5:48 PM Karl Wright <daddywri@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
deliberately manages keystores on a connection by connection basis, not globally.  If you
think the only way to implement TLS is via global keystore I very much doubt it.

until late tomorrow but somewhere along the line I can do some research into why TLS won't
work as we are currently doing it.

2020 at 12:56 PM Jörn Franke <jornfranke@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
only. So maybe you have other servers where tls and ssl are possible and it downgrades to
ssl.however, this is speculation and I need to verify it. I have to rebuilt manifold for that.
Probably I have to reinstall everything as the keystorefactory is a dependency in the connector.

um 18:34 schrieb Karl Wright <daddywri@gmail.com>:

> [...]
recommend changes to support TLS, that would be great.  The basic infrastructure should still
work; it is just a custom keystone and associated SSLSocketFactory, which I think also is
used for TLS connections, unless I am missing something.

Jan 14, 2020, 9:38 AM Jörn Franke <jornfranke@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
works fine. I believe the error comes from the fact that TLS connections are not supported.

Am 14.01.2020 um 15:31 schrieb Michael Cizmar <michael.cizmar@mcplusa.com>:

> [...]
you want to test the url and the ssl, I would recommend attempting using SSLPoke to confirm
that they keystore is setup properly:

Karl Wright <daddywri@gmail.com>
Tuesday, January 14, 2020 at 7:21 AM
"user@manifoldcf.apache.org" <user@manifoldcf.apache.org>
Re: CSWS Connector : ServiceConstructionException: Failed to create service

others have succeeded setting up SSL connections with the current code.  Hoping they chime
in here.

Tue, Jan 14, 2020, 8:19 AM Jörn Franke <jornfranke@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
seems that it has indeed a certificate issue as it cannot find a valid certification path
to the target. The thing is: I added those certificates in the UI should it should not happen.

10.01.2020 um 20:51 schrieb Jörn Franke <jornfranke@gmail.com>:

> [...]
will try on the weekend to see if I can get some logs out of it.

10.01.2020 um 19:02 schrieb Karl Wright <daddywri@gmail.com>:

> [...]
I ask what version of MCF you are using?  There were issues with SSL in the first release
of the csws connector if I recall correctly, that were fixed for the second release.

Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 11:42 AM Jörn Franke <jornfranke@gmail.com> wrote:

added root, intermediate and server certificate (in base64 cer, it seems to be recognized
by manifoldcf), but I still get the same message. I will try to get somehow the full stacktrace

10.01.2020 um 17:21 schrieb Karl Wright <daddywri@gmail.com>:

> [...]
you are using SSL you need to have the proper certificate saved in the connection's keystore.

Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 11:20 AM Jörn Franke <jornfranke@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
is actually a server using configuration of the command - driven multi-process model (but
the agents executed as a service and the war on a tomcat executed as a service) under Linux.

thought as well that it cannot reach the webservices, the question is why. On the same server
I can reach the webservices and fetch the WSDL without issues.

sth related to ssl ?

10.01.2020 um 14:59 schrieb Karl Wright <daddywri@gmail.com>:

> [...]
are you running manifoldcf?  Single process example, or a custom setup of some kind?

exception is a "catch all" exception generated far below anything in ManifoldCF, but usually
means it cannot download the WSDLs from the service.  Getting the full exception dumped in
the log requires a "hack" to the check() method of the connector, but I'm pretty sure that's
what's happening anyway.

Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 8:50 AM Jörn Franke <jornfranke@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
tried to use the CSWS connector, but already for the Authority connection I receive a org.apache.cxf.service.factory.ServiceConstructionException:
Failed to create service.

I don’t see more details , also not in the log (debug is activated). I try to get a little
bit more output by modifying the connector, but maybe someone has already an idea why this
can happen?

there some special instructions to use it? The pointers to the webservices are correct, I
tested via Curl and SOAPUI.

you.
regards