manifoldcf-user mailing list archives

From Jörn Franke <jornfra...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CSWS Connector : ServiceConstructionException: Failed to create service
Date Thu, 16 Jan 2020 13:19:49 GMT
Well i am not sure how they solved it - I will share a tested solution in Jira and everyone
can check. Maybe their wsdl is accessible through http?

What works is doing call through https,  but thee fetching of WSDL did not - as this is through
another mechanism.

I don’t think that the open text is different, the WSDL look very similar to the repository.

The strange thing is that for this error message it tries to access the xsd through a https
url (which is perfectly accessible for the server).
Could it be that the connector restrict itself somehow to local file system only or similar?
Have you faced this issue before?

> Am 16.01.2020 um 12:56 schrieb Karl Wright <daddywri@gmail.com>:
>

> I should say that we have (AFAICT) at least two independent installations of the csws
connector working in the field, at least one of them using secure connections.

> Karl
>

>> On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 6:54 AM Karl Wright <daddywri@gmail.com> wrote:
>> We solved the WSDL fetching through HTTPS, or thought we had, by restructuring the
code according to a number of articles we found.  This was supposedly tested and worked in
one installation.  Nobody has ever reported issues with the wsdls being fetched however; I
worry that you may have a different version of OpenText that is incompatible with the one
we developed against.  That's the problem with this kind of architecture; unless the wsdls
are included in the jar there can be issues.  We tried to do that too but were unable to get
it to work.

>> Karl
>>

>>> On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 5:34 AM Jörn Franke <jornfranke@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Ok i fixed the source to fetch WSDL from https (it is not perfect yet as it does
not use the truststore yet but this I can fix) - I will share later in a Jira.
>>> It is however now unable to locate the imported document /Authentication?xsd=2
relative to Authenticaton?wsdl#types1

>>> I will look into this, but if someone has come cross it then please let me know.

what i read in the corresponding issue. Apparently, the fetching of the WSDL itself through
https was not possible. Do you remember still some insights beyond what is written in the
issue ?

could set it to SSL, TLS, TLSv1.2 (to restrict it to TLS1.2 => some companies may want
that!). Is this a viable option? That would be also future proof. We can leave it by default
to SSL, but we should put in the example config files TLS by default (so new starters do not
get even the idea to use an outdated protocol) AND put a comment with recommendation to use/enforce
always newest protocols for security reasons. Of course, the choice is then with the people
using the software.

is what  *existing servers* support, since that is what we're connecting with.

web servers that support TLS.  But we can't guarantee it, nor can we assume that people have
upgraded to the most modern version of TLS exclusively.  In fact I think we can assume they
have *not*.  When the SSL issues were discovered a couple of years back, the standard recommendation
was simply to *disable* SSLv1 and SSLv2, not to upgrade to Java 11 or some such.  We still
support (and have people using!!) early forms of NTLM (v1 to be specific), for instance.
We're not going to be able to wag the dog here.  Breaking changes of this kind usually mean
we go to a whole new major version of MCF.

produces a SSLSocketFactory that works with all versions of TLS and SSL that do not have known
security holes, I would support changing over to that.  If it turns out we need much more
specificity about the kind of SSLSocketFactory we produce, then we need a better solution
anyhow for handling multiple protocols in one socket factory.

browsers stop supporting anything below TLSv1.2 in March 2020.
running nowadays will always have tls support.
perspective it should even break servers that run only SSL as they are inherently insecure
and also clients that only support SSL are adding to this.

support because of the removal of many jdk classes connectors need.  It will be ported at
some point but not lightly.

upon upgrade  and we do not do that lightly.

therefore be updated to support but not mandate tls.  The protocol specification one gives
to sslcontext is not a detailed one but rather a major version.  What I don't know is whether"tlsv1"
also allows for older protocols etc.

and will lock out TLSv1.2. I try TLS only as it includes all TLS protocols (depends on JDK).

there are other parts of the code where there is a getInstance(TLS). And some caveats: On
JDK6+7 TLS only means TLSv1 (and newer TLS Protocols are deactivated) on JDK8 it means also
that newer TLS protocols are enabled.
significant security hole and given how old TLS support is JDK i would be surprised if there
is someone using such a server (most Organisations should switch to TLSv1.2 in any case as
all protocols below have been broken).
be recommended as it seems to have all TLS protocols activated when using „TLS“. Older
JDKs seem to deactivate TLSv1.1 and TLSv1.2 when using TLS. I will write more about this in
the JIRA, once I verified that this solves the problem.

<daddywri@gmail.com>:

> [...]
as follows when it creates the SSLContext:

that's all that's available.

<jornfranke@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
what I suspect happens here. See my previous mail for details.

Wright <daddywri@gmail.com>:

> [...]
in the SSLSocketFactory framework based on how you create the SSLSocketContext.  See:

manages keystores on a connection by connection basis, not globally.  If you think the only
way to implement TLS is via global keystore I very much doubt it.

but somewhere along the line I can do some research into why TLS won't work as we are currently
doing it.

you have other servers where tls and ssl are possible and it downgrades to ssl.however, this
is speculation and I need to verify it. I have to rebuilt manifold for that. Probably I have
to reinstall everything as the keystorefactory is a dependency in the connector.

to support TLS, that would be great.  The basic infrastructure should still work; it is just
a custom keystone and associated SSLSocketFactory, which I think also is used for TLS connections,
unless I am missing something.

9:38 AM Jörn Franke <jornfranke@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
I believe the error comes from the fact that TLS connections are not supported.

um 15:31 schrieb Michael Cizmar <michael.cizmar@mcplusa.com>:

> [...]
the url and the ssl, I would recommend attempting using SSLPoke to confirm that they keystore
is setup properly:

<daddywri@gmail.com>
14, 2020 at 7:21 AM
<user@manifoldcf.apache.org>
Connector : ServiceConstructionException: Failed to create service

succeeded setting up SSL connections with the current code.  Hoping they chime in here.

8:19 AM Jörn Franke <jornfranke@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
has indeed a certificate issue as it cannot find a valid certification path to the target.
The thing is: I added those certificates in the UI should it should not happen.

20:51 schrieb Jörn Franke <jornfranke@gmail.com>:

> [...]
weekend to see if I can get some logs out of it.

19:02 schrieb Karl Wright <daddywri@gmail.com>:

> [...]
of MCF you are using?  There were issues with SSL in the first release of the csws connector
if I recall correctly, that were fixed for the second release.

at 11:42 AM Jörn Franke <jornfranke@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
and server certificate (in base64 cer, it seems to be recognized by manifoldcf), but I still
get the same message. I will try to get somehow the full stacktrace

17:21 schrieb Karl Wright <daddywri@gmail.com>:

> [...]
SSL you need to have the proper certificate saved in the connection's keystore.

at 11:20 AM Jörn Franke <jornfranke@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
server using configuration of the command - driven multi-process model (but the agents executed
as a service and the war on a tomcat executed as a service) under Linux.

that it cannot reach the webservices, the question is why. On the same server I can reach
the webservices and fetch the WSDL without issues.

to ssl ?

14:59 schrieb Karl Wright <daddywri@gmail.com>:

> [...]
manifoldcf?  Single process example, or a custom setup of some kind?

a "catch all" exception generated far below anything in ManifoldCF, but usually means it cannot
download the WSDLs from the service.  Getting the full exception dumped in the log requires
a "hack" to the check() method of the connector, but I'm pretty sure that's what's happening
anyway.

at 8:50 AM Jörn Franke <jornfranke@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
CSWS connector, but already for the Authority connection I receive a org.apache.cxf.service.factory.ServiceConstructionException:
Failed to create service.

see more details , also not in the log (debug is activated). I try to get a little bit more
output by modifying the connector, but maybe someone has already an idea why this can happen?

instructions to use it? The pointers to the webservices are correct, I tested via Curl and
SOAPUI.