maven-issues mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Jörg Hohwiller (JIRA) <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] [Commented] (MRESOLVER-90) HTML content in POM: Maven should validate content before storing in local repo
Date Fri, 02 Aug 2019 15:23:00 GMT

    [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MRESOLVER-90?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=16898978#comment-16898978
] 

Jörg Hohwiller commented on MRESOLVER-90:
-----------------------------------------

> That's not true.

I do not care if FF is wrong, Maven-Central is wrong, or none of them are. Also I do not want
to get too much off-topic here.

The only reason for this point is that the end-user is left alone in the dark as he gets garbage
instead of reasonable XML and that was an example for the initial point that HTTP was a standard
and that the Single-Sign-On System I am forced to use sitting in front of my nexus is "not
following standards".

So to avoid such end-user pain it would be great to improve the tools and sometimes even accept
a little pragmatic solution even though some other involved technology might not be perfect.
However, it seems that maven is already going to support this issue and if the validation
gets active by default 99% of this problem would already be gone. If for some ugly reason
the default can not be changed even in maven 3.7.0 it would be great to have a mechanism that
still prevents putting HTML garbage as valid content into the local repository messing things
up that can only be fixed with tedious manual intervention. If we agreed to that, I can finally
shut up :).

> HTML content in POM: Maven should validate content before storing in local repo
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: MRESOLVER-90
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MRESOLVER-90
>             Project: Maven Resolver
>          Issue Type: New Feature
>    Affects Versions: 1.4.0
>         Environment: both with maven 3.6.0 in CMD or in Eclipse 4.9.0
>            Reporter: Jörg Hohwiller
>            Priority: Major
>
> For some odd reasons somethimes errors just happen and a maven repo delivers an HTML
error or login page for a request of a POM or JAR file. It seems as if the status code is
valid then Maven (might be anything under the hood, maybe even ether?) is saving the result
without any sanity check or validation.
> Therefore I frequently end up with "POM" or "JAR" files in my local repo that are no
XML but HTML nonsens.
>  
> Example:
> {code:java}
> <!--
>    DO NOT ALTER OR REMOVE COPYRIGHT NOTICES OR THIS HEADER.
>  
>     Copyright (c) 2007 Sun Microsystems Inc. All Rights Reserved
>  
>     The contents of this file are subject to the terms
>     of the Common Development and Distribution License
>     (the License). You may not use this file except in
>     compliance with the License.
>     You can obtain a copy of the License at
>     https://opensso.dev.java.net/public/CDDLv1.0.html or
>     opensso/legal/CDDLv1.0.txt
>     See the License for the specific language governing
>     permission and limitations under the License.
>     When distributing Covered Code, include this CDDL
>     Header Notice in each file and include the License file
>     at opensso/legal/CDDLv1.0.txt.
>     If applicable, add the following below the CDDL Header,
>     with the fields enclosed by brackets [] replaced by
>     your own identifying information:
>     "Portions Copyrighted [year] [name of copyright owner]"
>     $Id: index.html,v 1.2 2008/06/25 05:48:51 qcheng Exp $
> -->
> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML//EN">
> <html>
> <head>
> <title>Please Wait While Redirecting to Login page</title>
> <script language="JavaScript"> <!--
> function redirectToAuth() {
>     var params = getQueryParameters();
>     var url = 'UI/Login';
>     if (params != '') {
>         url += params;
>     }
>     top.location.replace(url);
> }
> function getQueryParameters() {
>     var loc = '' + location;
>     var idx = loc.indexOf('?');
>     if (idx != -1) {
>         return loc.substring(idx);
>     } else {
>         return '';
>     }
> }
> //-->
> </script>
> </head>
> <body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" onLoad="redirectToAuth();">
> </body>
> </html>
> {code}
> I would expect maven to verify the content before officially placing it in the correct
location inside the local maven repository on my disc.



--
This message was sent by Atlassian JIRA
(v7.6.14#76016)

Mime
View raw message